Monday, March 19, 2007

Spring Break Recap!

Alright, now I'd like to really welcome myself back to the blogging world with an official Lu-type blog which was promised early this morning in the blog about SIU. So let's get it.

HIGHLIGHTS:

Let's start with the happy moments. It was nice to get off the train and be in Chicago and not be relegated to a quick late night meal followed by an immediate bed time because of 6-hours of train nothingness. Saturday was pretty sweet, I'll admit it. I got my hair cut (for the first time since January), got some new clothes (including a spiffy outfit for the JT concert) and then I had an awesome drinking night with my guys. It was really nice cuz there was a guy that I hadn't seen in forever and it was nice to see him again. Those guys didn't leave 'til 5 a.m.

Sunday was cool because it was Selection Sunday. SIU got a nice seed (#4) and it even set up a potential match-up with the University of Illinois....but U of I choked it up in the end.

Tuesday was the big day, the day of the Justin Timberlake concert. I was upset because I didn't succeed in my goal of landing a true date for the concert but I put it past me when it came to the concert. JT is climbing his way up the ladder of becoming my idol. His concert was absolutely amazing, and that's putting it in the mildest of terms. He can sing, dance, play the electric and acoustic guitar, the keyboard thingy that looks like a guitar and the piano. His back-up dancers (the female ones of course) were absolutely drop dead gorgeous, one wore a bustier and needless to say she was breathtaking with her looks and the stripper-esque way that she moved. Favorite songs from the show: My Love (which he did the first verse in acapella ), Gone (which he did while playing the piano), What Goes Around Comes Around and Cry Me A River. Timbaland also made a guest appearance singing with JT on my favorite track Chop Me Up and on the closing song Sexy Back. He also played the music video for the collaboration between he, JT and Nelly Furtado--a song called Give It To Me--where Timbo disses Scott Storch (calling him just a piano man) and JT boasting "If sexy never left then why's everybody on my shit---don't hate on me just because you didn't come up with it." He also did "freestyle beats" on a synthesizer while on stage over several songs---highlights included "remixed" beats for Kelly Clarkson's Since U Been Gone and The Fray's Over My Head. Oh, and did I mention that Justin performed with a full band and a real microphone--no earpiece mic. Justin deserves all the credit in the world. He's an excellent performer who has come a long way from his days as a member of 'N Sync. The one downer about the show was that sometimes the booming bass drowned out JT's falsetto and that was kinda whack (i.e. during Chop Me Up) oh and he didn't do Dick In A Box because there were too many damn lil' kids there. Shit, it was past their bed time anyway. That was my disappointment.

Thursday and Friday my mind was on the NCAA Tourney though I spent those two days making money and that makes me feel pretty good about things. I was happy to see my two favorite teams, UNC and SIU advance to the Sweet 16.

Saturday I spent my day doing laundry and I actually got into my first over-21 bar in Chicago which was nice cuz it was another night with the homies.

Oooh, I also got to see the Cubs play a few Spring Training games. Oooh, and I also got to listen to the DreX show. It was great being able to listen to DreX live and all new!

LOWLIGHTS:

An hour and a half before the show my mother and I had a big blowout argument that prompted her to give up her ticket to the concert. Things are good between us now, but then things were bad. She brought up a sore subject, basically picking a fight with me on that topic and then blamed me for not doing something she didn't give me the proper information to do. But it's all good now. My cousin Tony ended up going with me at the last minute. He was nice enough to pay for parking, Wendy's afterwards and he bought me a JT shirt.

Waking up Sunday morning for my 9 a.m. train ride after only 3 hours of sleep after a night of heavy drinking and spending $30 at the bar.....it just wasn't pretty. And I missed the first half of the SIU game.

A LESSON LEARNED:

Well, that's deserving of a blog of its own. That will come tomorrow. It's worth reading, it really is. Well, i twill be worth reading once it's written.


That was my Spring Break in a nutshell.

No comments: