Friday, February 09, 2007

Friday's Off The Wall Blog: No "Special Edition" Edition

Unfortunately (from my point of view) the Bears lost to the Colts in Super Bowl XLI 29-17, putting an end to what could have been a third straight week of an "Off The Wall Blog: Special Edition." That would've been nice: Friday's Off The Wall Blog: Super Bowl Champion Edition. I guess it wasn't meant to be. So now it's back to the normal Friday fun with news stories and songs that I really like. It's been a pretty good news week, let's get crackin'!
  • I'll lead off with a post-Super Bowl story. A Bears fan from Decatur, IL will now share a name with Colts QB and Super Bowl MVP Peyton Manning after losing a bet in a bar when the Bears lost the Super Bowl. Scott Wiese, a 26-year old worker at Staples, said that he's not sure how long he'll be willing to keep the name...but since he is a man of his word, he will make every attempt to legally change his name to Peyton Manning. Stupid bet in my opinion. Sure it's easy to say that now after the Bears lost, but had they won what would have happened? Would Peyton Manning have to change his name to Scott Wiese? A word to the wise: he who gambles lives in shambles!
  • Another popular story in the news this week involves an astronaut charged with attempting to murder her competition in a bizarre love triangle. Lisa Nowak, a married woman, was relieved of her NASA duties after being charged in Texas for trying to kidnap and attempted murder on a woman who shared the affections of a fellow astronaut. For the record, the dude that they were supposedly both going for is not the woman's husband. Talk about weird and bad. I'd love to provide a punchline for this story, but the sheer insanity of the story itself is punchline enough.
  • This story is a month old, but I absolutely had to bring it to the forefront of the Off The Wall blog because it, in fact, is off the wall itself. In an attempt to rid itself of the distinction of being the US capital of HIV/AIDS, New York City is giving away free condoms that are color coded like their subway system. This news makes NYC the first known city to have it's own brand of condoms, that's something to be proud of....I think.
  • And of course with Valentine's Day coming on Wednesday I had to throw in a story I read in the New York Times this week. The article has to do with how the color red is seen and what people think when they see the color red. You know around Valentine's Day everything is red or pink, mostly red. Red roses, cards with red envelopes....everything is flippin' red. It's got me seeing red. Actually, the article is a good read on how we interpret the color and is backed up with research done by Auburn University and the University of Texas at Austin. A must read if you're interested in how the mind works.
THE FRIDAY FIVE. Five songs in heavy rotation this week on my I-Pod.
  1. Lost Without You by Robin Thicke
  2. Throw Some D's (Official Remix) by Rich Boy featuring Andre 3000, Murphy Lee, Lil' Jon Jim Jones & The Game....among countless others that have done mixtape remixes (find Kanye West's freestyle over the beat!)
  3. Give It To Me by Timbaland featuring Nelly Furtado and Justin Timberlake
  4. She's Everything by Brad Paisley
  5. Here (In Your Arms) by Hellogoodbye
THE FRIDAY FIVE. Classic "love song" edition....for those of you who decide to celebrate Valentine's Day, I thought I'd be nice and give you my five favorite love songs.
  1. My Endless Love by Lionel Richie and Diana Ross
  2. Because I Love You by Lenny Williams
  3. Always and Forever by Luther Vandross
  4. Let's Get It On by Marvin Gaye
  5. What A Wonderful World by Louie Armstrong
Now, I know what you're thinking. No Boyz II Men, Babyface, Barry White, Temptations, etc. Well, I've got a back up list for next week's Friday Five which will be a post-Valentine's Day blog in which I'll have more songs. Really, you don't know how hard it is to narrow down a list of 100 songs on my I-Pod that I call "Lu's Collection Of Awesome Love Songs." Hell if you have a suggestion on one I should get, leave it in a response! 'Til then, I hope everyone has a safe and productive weekend. Go Dawgs!

No comments: