And the accolades keep rolling in for the #11 SIU Salukis men's basketball team.
- Senior guard Jamaal Tatum was voted Missouri Valley Conference player of the year in a close vote over runner-up Nate Funk (Creighton) and fellow teammate Randal Falker. Falker did take the individual award for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Falker also joined Tatum on the All-MVC first team. Saluki teammates Bryan Mullins and Tony Young join Falker on the All-Defensive team.
- As for the All-Centennial Team for the MVC, four Salukis made the squad. Ashraf Amaya, Darren Brooks, Mike Glenn and Kent Williams were named to the team. Brooks, a two-time MVC player of the year, was the only one I got the pleasure to see first-hand. I was here at SIU for DB's senior year.
- More on the Tatum front, he was named to the Academic All-American team. Good to see that education still matters in the NCAA. Tatum, Mullins and Matt Shaw were named to the MVC All-Academic team. Damn, this is one good all-around team.
- And finally, sixth man Wesley Clemmons was named to the MVC All-Bench team. Clemmons, may make the leap (like Tony Young did after his sophomore year) to the starting line-up in 2007-08 when two guard spots are opened up with the graduations of Tatum and Young.