Friday, March 02, 2007

Friday's Off The Wall Blog: Spring Has Sprung Edition

Finally, it's Friday. Nothing due tomorrow. Nothing to study for. Nothing to bitch about. I can actually smile because again the weight of the world is off my shoulders (at least for the next two days.) Interesting news week. Let's get to it, shall we?
  • An interesting story about ice cream being good. Well, that's not breaking news because everyone knows that ice cream is good. What we probably didn't know is that ice cream may lower the risk of some types of infertility. Despite the buzz, there's a hint of skepticism from medical experts. Still, it makes for an interesting story.
  • It's very easy to point out that the youth of today is going to hell in a handbasket. However, one should also note that adults aren't helping matters much. This mother taught her kids to fake retardation and gained over $280,000 in benefits. All that could be worth anywhere from six months to one year in prison. That's just special, no pun intended.
  • This story from the "no sh*t" category. A study recently found high amounts of narcissism and self-centeredness in today's college students. That's not really shocking in this generation that is slowly gaining the nickname "Generation Me." As a college student, it doesn't surprise me at all because really college kids are sharks. That phrase "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" really puts college into perspective. An old friend of mine taught me a lesson early in my collegiate career. "It's okay to be selfish, sometimes you just have to be selfish." It's too bad I learned that lesson a little too late for my own liking.
  • From the "rich getting richer" department, a freshly minted billionaire is trying to make the team pitching for the Dodgers. Left-handed pitcher Matt White struck it rich when land he bought had precious stones, instantly making him a billionaire. Now White's stuck trying to figure out what he wants to do. He could just sit back and rake in the good life, or he could try to play the game he's loved since he was a child. If I was White, I'd do both. I'd buy a team and then insert myself as the Opening Day starter, then retire. Sounds like a good plan, huh?
FRIDAY'S FIVE. Five really good songs I've been playing on my I-Pod this week.
  1. This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race Remix by Fall Out Boy (featuring Kanye West)
  2. Beemerz and Benzes by Trick Daddy & T.I.
  3. Complicated by Robin Thicke
  4. Birthday by Flo-Rida and Rick Ross
  5. Picture to Burn by Taylor Swift
FRIDAY'S FIVE. Old school songs, because "Old School" is really where it's at.
  1. She's A Brickhouse by The Commodores
  2. Volare by Dean Martin
  3. I Can See Clearly Now by Johnny Nash
  4. Daydream Believer by The Monkees
  5. Doo Wah Didee by Rick Springfield

No comments: