Thursday, January 26, 2006

What I Promised Yesterday...

...I post today, well kinda. I won't promise that this will be done with the same edge and same feeling that I had last night or let alone 15 minutes ago when the site froze on me and I had to start all over again, but whatever. There's so much on my mind and why not just put it all on one blog and seperate it by section. Well, here goes nothing...again:
VALENTINE'S DAY THOUGHTS
This blog when I was originally writing got off to a HOT START! Now that I don't remember what I wrote, I have no idea on where to leave off. So, here we go with Valentine's Day thoughts. I guess a starter would be that Valentine's Day is in 19 days, not that I'm counting the days or anything. It's on a Tuesday, I can't help but to think about last years Valentine's day which took place on a Monday because I love reminicing on old times. But at least I only have one class that day. The good thing about college (compared to high school) is that on Valentine's Day, it isn't as big of a deal as it was in high school, well my high school at least. I remember the days at Lane where everyone and their dog had a Valentine's Day related item/gift with them. Whether it was a card, a bunch of flowers, a balloon, a teady bear, etc. I remember the school paper had announcements and things, I wish I would have kept those, well on second thought, I don't because it would only further remind me of the failure high school was when it came to me and girls. Well folks, you get my drift. Heck, I remember the days in which I tried to fit the crowd and gift things to girls I like, which obviously have failed, which is one of the MANY things that fuels the fire and passion and hatred I have for Valentine's day! Moving on, compared to high school, there isn't that much of that here on campus. Granted, I've only experienced it once, but you know that one time wasn't as bad as high school, so believe me that was good. Maybe it's because it's not that hyped down here. Granted there's the "i'm going home to ____ " fill in the blank with the hometown of a person "to have sex" people that come out which I think they're a bit shallow, but that'll come in a later section. Then there's the people that suprise they're loved one by sending something through the mail or by miraculously showing up. Then there's me, the ambassador for those who hate Valentine's Day and would gladly appreciate it if it was shoved up Hallmark's ass. People tell me I'm bitter because I've never had a Valentine. I tell these people, yeah you're right, and that's why I get this way when this time of year comes around. Because I've been made to be singled out as the guy who doesn't have a Valentine and that sucks coming around year after year. Being singled out isn't a good thing unless it is made out to be a good thing like if you're good at something. So to sum it all up, I'm bitter because everyone else is happy. Is it called jealousy? Yes, I guess but it's only because it's rammed down your throat as a happy time full of hope and optimism. NO bitch, you're wrong, that's what spring training and opening day is all about, so Valentine's Day gets knocked won a peg. To quote the movie Fever Pitch: "Love comes and goes, but the Red Sox will always be here." That's how I feel: Girls come and go, but the Cubs will never leave. To take a bit from that movie here comes a rant....Girls come and go, but the Cubs will never leave. The Cubs will never be mad at you because you never called back. The Cubs don't care what you look like. The Cubs never REJECT you. Girls do. Sure, the Cubs have been disappointing. Sure they've let me down in the past and will most likely do so in the future. But in the end, there's always tomorrows game. There is no tomorrow's game with a girl. Heck when a ball game gets rained out, you get a double header, two games for the price of one, in the same day. You think a girl's gonna do that for you, two dates with two girls on the same day. How about one date with two girls, think that will happen? Not likely. Okay, now that that rant is over, back to the main point of this portion of the blog and what basically inspired me to write this section. I'll preface this by saying the person who wrote this post in the end makes up for the garbage they spewed in the beginning, Mariotti style. I agree that the downfall of this generation is MTV making idiocy and stupidity look good to the point in which those who are dumb have the power and those who are the intellects look like fools. I agree that pop culture has watered down society to the point where stupidity is cheered and intellect is looked down upon. But that's not what inspired me, this however is: Valentine's day is a holiday founded on love. Perhaps the most powerful human emotion, love transcends most other functions of a human mind. Logic, leisure, and survival are all overriden. Such an emotion deserves at least a small amount of respect. Why, then, do I see classmates "boycotting" Valentine's day? Wearing silly little patches about how Valentine's day stinks, and preaching how no one should like it. That was quite a little ditty that I absolutely RIPPED APART in my mind, well now I'll rip it apart here. Valentine's Day isn't a holiday first of all becasue I DON'T GET TIME OFF OF SCHOOL OR WORK FOR IT, SO NO HOLIDAY STATUS FOR YOU! Now that we got that out of the way, it isn't a day founded on love, it is founded on the idea that someones emotions can be purchased. Valentine's Day is so commercial, it's on the level of Christmas. As soon as Thanksgiving was over, here comes Christmas. But as soon as the new year rings in, here comes Valentine's Day. So don't tell me that it's founded on love, it's founded on the foundation that love can be bought and that is WRONG! Note that I would agree that love is the most powerful human emotion, but Valentine's day brings out the worst in people because it simplifies everything to the point where superficiality is celebrated. That is what's wrong with the day itself. So to answer the guys question about why he sees classmates "boycotting" the day and preaching how no one should like it, well here of course is my answer. People boycott because they don't believe. Why they don't believe, well you can draw your own conclusions. When something gets you down over and over again, don't you yourself think about how it puts you down and say fuck it I want no part in this no more. And the preaching, well I don't preach. I don't think you should ever put anyone down because of what they believe, even if it is over Valentine's Day. And as much as this is a put down of Valentine's day supporters, it's more of a put down of the day and the way it is marketed and how some people are left out in the cold. Valentine's day, in a sense, is a day in which the rich get richer. So my Valentine's day stance well I guess it's similar to my stance on Denny's. To refresh memories: I refuse to eat at Denny's until they acknowledge Brown vs. Board of Education, Topeka (1954.) Basically I refuse to acknowledge Valentine's Day until I have a Valentine.
OLD CRUSHES
So, I was "Facebook'd" the other day by someone I would have never expected to facebook me. I'll preface this story by a long story. A long time ago, there was a boy named Luis (he wasn't known as Lu until later) who was a sweetheart. He was a happy go lucky kinda kid that didn't have negative thoughts, he was generally in a positive mindset. Back in the day, Luis had a crush on a girl named Vanessa who was the apple of his eye. Inside him, he always believed that she was the one. Luis had his chances, don't get me wrong, but he blew them because Luis was quite naiive and didn't see what was apperantly in front of him. Since then Luis and Vanessa have drifted apart and Luis still hasn't let go of her until this day. Back to reality, now I'm Lu again. I was actually poked by her, and I was like "naw, can't be..." and it was, and she's still beautiful. All of a sudden that soft spot came back and it hit me, I still have a place in my heart for her. I'll never forget how stupid I was back in the day how dumb I was how BLIND I was not to see what was obviously in front of me. I can only hope that one day forces beyond our control (and forces within our control) can somehow bring us together. I doubt it will happen, why, because I'm a pessimist, but there's a part of me that says and always will say she was the one. And potentially the one that got away. A more recent crush of mine, could potentially be one that got away, but I'd like to see it as I'd rather be friends than not have her around at all. I feel as if it was a lost chance but once again, it wasn't meant to be.
HOW UNIVERSITIES USE FACEBOOK
Since it came out whenever it came out, Facebook (along with other sites such as My Space, Xuqa, Xanga, etc.) have been used to "cyber socialize." As these sites evolved from basic profiles and class matching, now schools are using these sites against the students that they were created for. Between Facebook and blog sites, there's a lot of incriminating evidence out there. Now, school administrators are using pictures that are posted on these sites and confessions as well to pin students in a corner and basically get them in trouble. For example, administrators at SIU have used facebook pics such as the ones where students are drinking in the dorms (which is illegal) to get them in trouble. I won't stay too long on this issue, because of privacy issues and things of that nature. I'll also bring up the kid out east that got caught up because he posted his scheme on how he stole school laptops on his blogsite and then got arrested. I'll finish this instead by saying beware of what you write, say and post. Big brother's always watching and listening.
HOW I'M DOING
I'm doing great in school. I'm enjoying my classes thoroughly. I'm going to class regularly focused and ready to go. I feel much more relaxed which is very key for me. Hopefully things go well as the semester rolls along and things get more difficult. This is a short one, but so far, school's been sweet.
WHY THIS WEEKEND IS IMPORTANT
This will be short and sweet too, because of changing situations. I'll probably end up in the room all weekend but supposedly that's a bad thing. Yes, I should be going out and meeting people, but at the cost that I don't have a job, my parents aren't sending me money and that each job I've applied for down here, I've been rejected, more like they aren't hiring anymore, whatever. Well, I'm still looking for a steady girl. This will lead to a bigger longer blog that I really don't want to get into, but yeah that relationship that isn't necessarily based on sex would be really really nice about now. Who knows, this weekend starts at 2 tomorrow.
CHUCK NORRIS
What the fuck is up with everyone and Chuck Norris? They have these sayings about him like he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Maybe he did something really good for the community and I just don't know about it. All I know is that Walker, Texas Ranger was overrated, and in fact, pretty gosh darn bad, so yeah, the Chuck Norris stuff, creepy.
COUNTDOWNS
18 days til Valentine's Day. 19 days til Cubs pitchers and catchers report to spring training. 66 days til Opening day. Anything else worth counting down is too far away.
MUSIC REVIEW & OLD POSTS & GRAND CENTRAL STATION
Will come in tomorrow's posts. good night to one and all

No comments: