Friday, February 16, 2007

Friday's Off The Wall Blog: Post-Valentine's Day Edition

I hope everyone had a good Valentine's Day. The fact that I'm writing this blog is proof that I did survive V-Day. With that said, I've got to do a normal Off-The-Wall Blog. It's a must. Happy Friday everyone, and away we go...
  • It's winter time folks, be smart and stay safe. A German paraglider obviously didn't follow my advice when she found herself encased in ice after paragliding into a major "tornado-like thunderstorm." I'm happy to report that she survived this, but hopefully this will teach you daredevils out there to be careful!
  • Since I was a child, I always wondered what was the point of the urinal cakes in stalls. Maybe it was just me. Anyway, New Mexico has found a use for these things. A woman's voice activated by a sensor is activated when a man approaches and advises the man to call a sober friend or a cab for a ride home. Statistics say that men are more than three times as likely to be involved in a drunk driving incident than women. Stats aside, it's an interesting use of technology to get into the suggestive minds of drunks. Next, I want it to give me some personal advice. Such as "you should ask for that waitress' phone number" or "be careful with that girl you're dancing with" or even maybe it could be used as another place to promote safe sex (yes, it's still Nat'l Condom Week) maybe saying "use a rubber big boy...double bag it!" Let's take full advantage of our technological advances.
  • Sometimes you have to realize that it's time to hang it up. Other times, you have to realize that you have to put some clothes on when running through a park. A nude jogger in San Jose was recently fined $95 for indecent exposure for jogging in only a pair of jogging shoes. His "liberating feeling" was seen inappropriate by several residents. I hope liberation was worth $95.
  • Unfortunately, or fortunately from what everyone has been telling me, I missed the Grammy's last weekend. From all accounts, it was a lackluster awards ceremony. Here is a list of Grammy winners. Upon looking at the list, I was bothered a lot by several winners. How did the Dixie Chicks win album of the year over Justin Timberlake's Future Sex/Love Sounds or John Mayer's Continuum, both critically acclaimed albums that actually featured good music? How did James Blunt's 'You're Beautiful' lose out to the Dixie Chicks for record of the year? Other notes: My Humps won a Grammy...and i'm not sure how. How do neither Dierks Bentley's Every Mile A Memory nor Rascal Flatts What Hurts The Most win country song of the year? I love you Carrie Underwood, and hope that one day you'd marry me, but I can't get behind you winning over two of my favorite country acts. Now that I take a closer look, the Dixie Chicks won a lot of awards. I'm sure they whored themselves out to someone to win that many awards. On the brightside, my boy JT didn't leave empty handed. His track 'My Love' won an award and he got to go home with Scarlett Johansson. Sounds like a winner to me!
FRIDAY'S FIVE. My Grammy Winner Edition.
  1. What Hurts The Most by Rascal Flatts (Best Country Performance by a group)
  2. Don't Forget About Us by Mariah Carey (Best Female R&B Vocal Performance)
  3. You're Beautiful by James Blunt (Song Of The Year)
  4. Crazy by Gnarles Barkley (Record Of The Year)
  5. The Saints Are Coming by U2 & Green Day (Best Rock Performance By Group Or Duo With Vocal)
FRIDAY'S FIVE. Old School Edition.
  1. Let's Go Crazy by Prince
  2. Bad by Michael Jackson
  3. Jungle Love by Morris Day & The Time
  4. Summer Madness by Kool & The Gang
  5. Where Did Our Love Go by Diana Ross

No comments: