Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Wednesday's Off-The-Wall Blog: It's Just Another (Valentine's) Day Edition

I tried getting the point across yesterday, but I guess my words were unheard...evidenced by two phone calls wishing me Happy Valentine's Day already. I guess it's not just another day after all. So now that I'm up and listening to the DreX morning show online, I figured why not do an Off-The-Wall-blog. I've gone back and forth on writing a V-Day OTW blog because of my pure dislike for this "holiday." And since I've found quality material to post on the blog, I figured "Why Not?" So here it is, Wednesday's OTW Blog: It's Just Another (Valentine's) Day Edition.

  • Today just doesn't mark another Valentine's Day, if you read my Cubs blog, you know that today Cubs pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training. As I've made it quite clear on this site and anywhere else I'm allowed to say my opinion that the Cubs just might be the one true love in my lifetime. That's kinda sad, come to think of it. Anyway, MLB.com has a nice article where players and fans are asked why they love baseball. Mr. Cub Ernie Banks makes an appearance in the piece. He's got quite a long quote but here's my favorite excerpt, "It creates a lot of joy for people and memories for people who follow it. It's a family. You like it because it's a family. You started with it and know all these people -- it's family, it's friends, it's fun, it's a beautiful game. "
  • Here's something I didn't know, but as a college student probably should have known. This week is National Condom Week and today is National Condom Day. I'm not here to push an agenda or to throw my opinion in your face (not with this issue at least), I'm just here to let it be known that today is Nat'l Condom Day. I'm just going to recommend that if you celebrate today, celebrate responsibly by wearing a rubber. That's it, just a suggestion...take it or leave it.
  • Today's Daily Egyptian, the newspaper here at SIU, has some pretty interesting articles on Valentine's Day. This article talks about people who are against the holiday and references what I would call a semi-Anti-Valentine's Day movement. This next article, is an opinion piece which I'll admit struck a chord with me. Yes, I understand that Valentine's Day is this day where you're supposed to show love to others. But let's scrap the idea of significant others and show affection to those in your life that make a positive impact. With that said, Happy Valentine's Day to my family and friends. My family, who go out of their way to make sure I get Fannie Mae chocolate so I don't spend today completely depressed. And to my friends, who understand my genuine hatred for this day and for the last few years have attempted to help me get through this day with little incident (though that has failed...whatever...good lookin' out folks!)
  • Last year, MSN had a page giving you reasons to not like Valentine's Day. They hit it on the mark, of course....but do not limit yourself to reasons to not like this day. I, myself have several reasons I shun this holiday like a red-headed step child.
  • And finally, when The History Channel isn't busy covering Hitler or World War II, they do good work outside of those two topics. Here's their page on the history of Valentine's Day. Generally, I like history and if you have time and love to read as much as I do, then read some of this stuff. Did you know according to one legend, St. Valentine (a priest at the time) sent the first "Valentine" himself while in jail when he fell in love with a young girl who was thought to be the jail-keeper's daughter. Everyone knows I'm a big fan of legends and tall tales.
It's not Friday, so I can't do a Friday Five. So instead, my version of the 10 Greatest Love Songs Of All-Time (in no particular order):
  1. Every Time I Close My Eyes by Babyface
  2. Anytime by Brian McKnight
  3. At Last by Etta James
  4. Your Body Is A Wonderland by John Mayer
  5. All My Life by K-Ci & Jojo
  6. One Sweet Day by Mariah Carey & Boyz II Men
  7. Truly, Madly, Deeply by Savage Garden
  8. Practice What You Preach by Barry White
  9. Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton
  10. My Girl by The Temptations
It's so hard to limit a 200+ song playlist of great love songs on my I-Pod to My 10 Favorite. That's the best I could do folks.

Now, enjoy the rest of your Valentine's Day....bitches!

No comments: