Saturday, February 26, 2005

Happy Championship Saturday!

I'm gonna keep it sweet and simple in today's blog...WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS! In Chicago, you don't get anything like this. I wasn't even born when the Bears won the Super Bowl in 1985. I was three in 1989 when the Cubs won the division. I was 6 when the Bulls had the first three-peat. I was in 6th grade sitting in my bed with a broken leg when the Bulls won their sixth and final championship. I was in 7th grade when the Cubs won the Wild Card. I'm not a Sox fan, so I didn't celebrate theie 1993 and 2000 division championships, and hockey what? In 2001, the Cubs tricked me by leading the division all year long and blowing it in September. In 2000-2001, the Bears fooled all of Chicago by going 13-3 with miracle finishes and horshoes inserted in happy places, then collapsing at home against the Eagles in the last game at the original Sodiers Field. 2003 was my best year. Cubs vs. Yankees in June was classic and Cubs vs. Cardinals in September, just the atmosphere was there all year. The first playoff game since 1998 at Wrigley, which I was apart of. The Prior dominance was the greatest thing I had ever been apart of until today. Today, Southern Illinois University @ Cabondale clinched their 4th straight Conference Championship in a 65-55 victory over Wichita State. The atmosphere, electric. Everyone was into the game, we were just all waiting to explode, waiting for revenge against the "Shockers" and finally, the moment was great. As the game went on you just felt the specialness of the moment. "Go home shockers!" (clap clap clap-clap-clap) "Warm up the bus, warm up the bus." "N-I-T! N-I-T!" And finally the countdown, and the rush was on. I actually got to rush the court, tht was the best feeling ever. Once again, you don't get this feeling in Chicago, so yeah I enjoyed it. I celebrated with players, cheered and viewed tehm Cut down the nets. I got a couple of autographs from my favorite players (SHOUT OUT TO D.B., Tatum (The Human Fast Break South), and T.Y.). So it was worth it. I didn't want to leave that moment. This was SIUs 4th straight conference title, I'm hoping for 8 in a row!

No comments: