Wednesday, February 16, 2005

New Poem

In honor of the start of Opening Day, here is part one of three poems I've written about my favorite team...THE CHICAGO CUBS! Enjoy and as always, interpret as you may.

The Loss of Innocence

It was a moment
Longer than 162 games.
A moment that was 17 years for me,
Nearly 6 decades for those around during the Second World War
And Almost one century in the making for those around during the progressive era.
It wasn’t only a dream for 39,577,
It was my dream too.
But that dream was abruptly ended,
Deferred by one of our own.
But it was just one game,
With one game left.
I thought we would win, hell
I knew we would win!
Just like in 1969 and 1984,
I was foolish,
But I didn’t know that.
I wish I knew now, what I didn’t know then.
27 outs later, I was exposed;
Left naked, stunned and now
Scarred for life.
Everyone was right, but not me.
Because I was wrong.
Lies, corruption,
Pain and anger.
And finally heartbreak.
Next year was off my hands,
And under my glove.
That was the loss of my innocence.

No comments: