Saturday, March 04, 2006

Basketball Starts

UNC vs. Duke, it don't get much better...
In an effort to rebuild the friendship between my roommate and I, in a half hour we will be at each other's throats when the best rivlary in college basketball, college sports, heck maybe all of sports when my Tar Heels from the University of North Carolina (the defending National Champions) visit the #1 team in the country, the Duke Blue Devils. Me, I'm a huge Tar Heel fan going back to the days when I found out that Michael Jordan was a Tar Heel. Then I lived through the days of Vince Carter, Antawn Jamison, Jerry Stackhouse, Jeff McInnis, Dean Smith and that crew and that's carried over to today where though guys like Felton, May, McCants, Marvin Williams are gone, there are guys like Bobby Frasor and Tyler Hansborough and 'Uncle' Roy Williams the legend coaching the best team in college basketball. Then there's Duke and my roommate's fandom begins with him confusing Duke and DePaul and his grandfather's love for Chicago's own Coach K. That definetly grew when white boy extraordanaire JJ Redick came on Durham's campus and started launching 3 pointers like they were cure to all of life's ills. So starting at 8 pm, I get Lu and Hoos time. Sure, for the next two hours after that, we'll be at each others throats, but afterwards we'll be cool.
Ladies and Gentleman, we're going to St. Louis...
Yes, we are because the SIU SALUKIS beat UNI for the second time in the last two weeks, this time in the MVC tourney semi-final to meet long time rival, the streaking Bradley Braves. It a gut-wrenching, back and forth game, the Salukis pulled it out in over time due to timely shots, stingy defense and overall clutch play. As soon as the game was final, I got on the phone made sure it was okay to purchase tickets on my credit card and my friend Steve got his and we are going to St. Louis tomorrow, hopefully not in vain, and hopefully we can claim the automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. Wow, and to think, last week I was talking about the dreaded NIT. Well folks, I'm so psyched. I'll post about other stuff later

No comments: